Go Back   APUK > General Chat > Cafe APUK
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Cafe APUK general chat

Old 01-16-2016, 03:38 PM   #1
Merrick

Vampire

Default Miserable January

Well 2016 has not started well.
We have lost Lemmy, David Bowie, Alan Rickman and many more already and we're only half way through.
The weather is miserable although it is nice to see the days drawing out a little.
Most of us are busy or hibernating and don't get on much

There was me hoping 2016 was going to be better than 2015 but I'm fast losing hope

"Humanity! Made in Gods image, ha! You're all so arrogant!"

[Only registered users can see links. ]

Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:42 PM   #2
Websters
Commanders

Lost some icons. David Bowie was not without controversy, but his musical innovation will be missed.

As far as Rickman is concerned Stephen Colbert, Late Show talk host gave a good tribute:

Quote:
The "Late Show" host offered a moving tribute to Rickman by reminding us he was way more than just Severus Snape in "Harry Potter." Colbert said, "He played so many characters who we, the audience, could see lived on the threshold of letting those around him know how he felt, the ways that he was hurt and couldn’t reveal, and that is a rare and beautiful gift to share with an audience, and the world is poorer for his loss."

As a PBS interviewer Tavis Smiley says with each show. "Keep the Faith", Merrick! Lots of good things ahead. Stuff happens, and always has, we just have 24 hour news repeating everything, over and over and over again these days!

I heard a rather good phrase if I don't slaughter it too much: Be Happy for No reason whatsoever, the reasons to be happy, can be taken away.

Have a good weekend. It is snowing....again!
Old 01-17-2016, 07:58 AM   #3
Zriza

Immortal

Alan Rickman was not without controversy either due to the very pro Palestinian "Rachele Corie" play he co-wrote and directed

For the last 21 years January was always misrable for me because my dad died on the 12th, 4 days before his 69th b-day. (Yep the same bloody age and desease). Although 21 years have passed I; still down when January come.

Crossing fingers that February will be better for all of us
Old 01-17-2016, 04:38 PM   #4
Merrick

Vampire

Oh Z!! I know how you feel. December is the month my Mother died and its always hard.

I suffer with SAD and January and February are my worst months. Not enough sunlight in this grey country of ours. Snow helps as it changes the light but we've only had a sprinkle and that's been this week. I'll keep taking the Vit D and sit in front of my light box lol waiting for brighter days.

Oh ...yes I agree on the news thing. We do get more of it 24/7 and not a lot is good at the moment. We used to get a 'good news' report at the end of each main program but not any more

Old 01-17-2016, 10:48 PM   #5
Websters
Commanders

Sorry 'bout those losses. I think about 'my losses' for a moment or two and then become so grateful that I had them for awhile!

I believe there are lightbulbs you can place w/i your home that helps the SAD thing too. It is a chemical thing.

Our 'bad' news is ample, but the good stuff can be found if we look for it.

I think life is attitude and choice. I choose to be happy most of the time. Not that there aren't things I wouldn't change if I could but they don't define my life. I can't change the world, so the world can't change me. Bitterness is not in my nature. I've had my fair share of travail too, I just don't set conditions on being happy.

Not trying to lecture anyone but I do remember my mom singing 'Look for that silver lining....' She was a pretty smart intuitive person.

Dang these are cute and while you can't help yourself from laughing...(how could you not?)......look for your silver lining.... Right now mine is a seed catalog as I look out at a ton of snow and somebody has to shovel it!

Old 01-20-2016, 03:59 AM   #6
Islandkat

Professor

Smile

December & January are alright, it's February that I hate. I'll have to change my refrain that the only good thing that happened in February is I met Ryk though. Who's-it is expected to make her center stage world debut about early mid-month.

I'm currently in the middle of an excellent Trilogy - All Souls Trilogy - by Deborah Harkness. Dianna is a witch that has tried ignoring her powers since she was a child and her parents died. She stumbles across an ancient book during the course of her studies which suddenly has her under the scrutiny of other witches, daemons, and Vampires. It puts me a lot in mind of Dianna Gabaldon's Outlander books.

"Yeah... it's all fun and games 'til somebody gets Cursed," Sheriff Jack Carter ~ Eureka.

Last edited by Islandkat : 01-20-2016 at 04:03 AM.
Islandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #7
Websters
Commanders

Is it that February prolongs winter and with this being leap year it is prolonged an extra day? I look forward to March-April-May, birthdays and USUALLy absence of snow!

I never read all of Gabaldon's Outlander books, but enjoy the TV series. Wondering how all that gets resolved. I'm currently reading Marilynne Robinson's "The Givenness of Things". Not my usual genre but needed to give it a try. Not light reading. Have "Fortune Smiles" by Adam Johnson on my list.

"Revenant" the story of Hugh Glass and the grizzly bear attack looks like a movie we will be seeing. The grizzly bear attacked him in the early 1800's very near Lemmon SD where hubby grew up! If you see the movie, they filmed in an area that is too hilly! That area is far flatter!
Old 01-21-2016, 01:59 PM   #8
Zriza

Immortal

My sliver lining these days is Ridgie. I tried to upload a new picture to here, but it asked me for an URL instead of letting me upload it straight from the punter
Old 01-21-2016, 05:33 PM   #9
Merrick

Vampire

That's weird, Z....I'll try to sort that. Would be nice to see a new pic.

It's cold here but warming up again...more rain

EDIT: Pics....for now if you want to post a picture 'Go Advanced' then scroll down to 'Manage Attachments', click on that and it should bring up the pop up window and allow you to upload pictures from computers.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #10
Zriza

Immortal

My Ridgie
001.jpg
Old 01-25-2016, 12:07 PM   #11
Merrick

Vampire

Awww lovely picture, Z

Old 02-03-2016, 03:51 AM   #12
Islandkat

Professor

Smile

Ridgie's a handsome fellow, Z.

Webbie, you really ought to read the Outlander books I've read them all - looooong before this series was a twinkle in anyone's eye and oooohhhh!

"Yeah... it's all fun and games 'til somebody gets Cursed," Sheriff Jack Carter ~ Eureka.
Islandkat is offline   Reply With Quote