Go Back   APUK > General Chat > Cafe APUK
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Cafe APUK general chat

Old 11-03-2015, 04:42 PM   #41
Websters
Commanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwater View Post
We had four door bell rings, 14 kids total. The first was a tot, I mean, Elmo. When I gave him his treat, his father said, "What do you say?" The little guy blinked and then gave me a blazing smile and said, "My mommy is going to have a baby!!"
Cute, and exceptionally smart. Perhaps some candy for me and MORE for 'our' baby! Kids got promise!

We didn't have many either. The rain let up some, but they must have headed for town to join the other 2,000 + house. Apparently they had many but not the 'usual'. I understand she asks adults if they would like peppermint schnaps too! This gal is quite the community 'doer', and she has the finances to pursue them. I have heard her say that growing up she had always wanted to live in 'that' house. She continued that she had to marry into the family, and 'wait a very long time for people to die off, but she made it'. A lady with purpose, and the energy too! She must have been hyper all her life! Did I say she is a very nice lady? She really is but perhaps all of us have our eccentricities!

Folks did take many of the apples! Parents lurking in the shadows waiting for their tots . I could hear the 'thank you's' just didn't see them!

Now I have projects to complete. Apples, pears and tomatoes. Oh dear!
Old 11-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #42
Zriza

Immortal

No Halloween or Samhain in my neck of the woods. But the weather acts like it is. After a rainy and cooler week, starting Sunday we had 3 days of dry heat wave and for tonight the forecast include wind gusts, dust, sand, thunders and rain all at the same time.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:03 AM   #43
Islandkat

Professor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwater View Post
We had four door bell rings, 14 kids total. The first was a tot, I mean, Elmo. When I gave him his treat, his father said, "What do you say?" The little guy blinked and then gave me a blazing smile and said, "My mommy is going to have a baby!!"
Islandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:12 AM   #44
Islandkat

Professor

Smile

Ok, I was asked for pictures & here they are! Hey, you asked

Let us begin with Pilot's attempt at a video! (it's all of 84 secs. Seems the video - in the middle - takes you to Pilot's Photobucket, fortunately his is public) And your view walking up from the street.

[Only registered users can see links. ]
Old 11-05-2015, 05:15 AM   #45
Islandkat

Professor

Smile

Next, he walked up the porch & took pictures individually.

Street side of house, pretty much same as last year - this is last year's, seems we forgot this angle! Only difference was one little pumpkin was about a pumpkin width away from the group. He was our rebel... The rest are this year though. I still need to get those pumpkins down!

Old 11-05-2015, 05:18 AM   #46
Islandkat

Professor

Smile

Old 11-05-2015, 05:19 AM   #47
Islandkat

Professor

Smile

Pilot attached 1 of the crows to this skull this year

Going up to the door...

to your left

to your right - kitty got a new friend after Halloween last year.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:20 AM   #48
Islandkat

Professor

Smile

ACK!

inside by the door - across the room so they could be seen left & right. Those are "potion bottles" next to the skeleton.

And this is Timmy the Scarecrow which I couldn't resist. He's fiber optic around the straw, but these were taken when he wasn't on.

"Yeah... it's all fun and games 'til somebody gets Cursed," Sheriff Jack Carter ~ Eureka.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #49
Merrick

Vampire

Oh my Goodness, Kat!!!!!

Love the video! You guys go to so much trouble, it must take you ages. Lol, I don't think I would ever take it down!

Thank you for the pics

"Humanity! Made in Gods image, ha! You're all so arrogant!"

Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:23 AM   #50
Islandkat

Professor

Smile

I don't know about trouble. It does take... ohhhh... I think we put in 3 hours Sat., hanging the lights & ghosts up in the tree over the house. Then we attached branches to the porch rails to stretch the webbing. (That was Pilot's idea!) & he may have gone traipsing around the woods at the end of the street for the branches for about a half hour. We strung the orange lights.

We spent maybe another 3 hours Sunday with the webbing, starting at the top since I had a taller person available . Stuck the pumpkins up, spiked the scarecrows & hung the bat. I finished the webbing on the lower sections Monday - 2 hours, 3 maybe, including raking a big bag of leaves for the large pumpkin. Tuesday I placed the spiders and put out the pumpkins, ghosts, skulls. Lastly, Halloween we hung 5 spiders from the overhanging braches to listen to the kids squeal when something brushed across their head or sholder hehehehehehe. All told... 11 - 12 hours maybe.

I managed to find 3 string of lights, Sunday on sale, to add to next years stuff. 2 strings of little ghosts & a string of eyeballs And Pilot insisted on hitting a couple of Walgreens (pharmacy outlet) & found 5 more littler ghosts like the ones on the rail, for less than $4.00. I REALLY need to get rechargeable batteries and a charger!

"Yeah... it's all fun and games 'til somebody gets Cursed," Sheriff Jack Carter ~ Eureka.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #51
Websters
Commanders

You and Pilot do a nice job Kat and when you enjoy it doesn't matter how long it takes.

The Christmas lighting and animation USED to be our big thing, but before LED's the animation quit working, and no amount of effort would get it to go again. Then there was the draping of lights onto roof and trees and shrubs and..... Still have an adorable Train set that the lighting made it appear to move. Kiddos loved it, and grandkids would love it now....if it worked!

I'm thinking those laser shows might be something we might try. Maybe.

Again. Your Halloween display is superb!
Old 11-07-2015, 02:01 PM   #52
Galeon 7

I hid.
A genuine sword inscription, scottish gaelic
borrowed from kmm on HLBB TKS
Galeon 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:23 AM   #53
Coolwater
Commanders

Waaaaaow!!! Damn fine! Y'all do more for Halloween than we do for Halloween and Christmas combined.

The kid whose mother was preggers? Turns out I know her.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:52 AM   #54
Islandkat

Professor

Smile

Thank you & can we keep the trouble talk down... HE might hear you! Then I might never get him in gear. Hey! I can't go trick-or-treating myself anymore!

& Galeon, bwaack! Cluck-cluck-cluck!

Old 11-13-2015, 05:05 AM   #55
Islandkat

Professor

Smile

HEY! Wake UP! Hibernation time doesn't start for another month & a half yet!

Old 11-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #56
Websters
Commanders

Did you say Hibernation? Some fat bears 'round here, and snow on 'them thar hills!'

If you haven't anything important to do, read this article. Been 'round these parts' and critters all my life and didn't know some of this stuff!

Gallstones? Not bears!

Quote:
Lately, bears have been getting proper credit for the amazing things they do during their winter sleep – things that the “true hibernators” wouldn’t and couldn’t try. Some examples: bears give birth and nurse cubs, they don’t wake up to drink, urinate or defecate. They use only their fat for energy (not protein). They re-process urea from urine back into protein, so they gain muscle in the winter! While asleep, they lose 20 to 40% of their body weight, and while losing all that weight, they produce an acid which dissolves gallstones. Humans who try crash diets have trouble with gallstones. This acid-extract from bears is now synthesized by drug companies.

Cool huh?

Yep, it is cool round these parts. There is snow on the mountains, but can't see it, too much cloud cover.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #57
Merrick

Vampire

Wish they'd had that when I had mine. Here they just remove the gallbladder and say there is no other treatment

Old 11-15-2015, 05:15 AM   #58
Islandkat

Professor

Interesting facts about bears.

So, other than freezing how's everyone?

Old 11-15-2015, 03:02 PM   #59
Merrick

Vampire

Can't believe we are in the middle of November already Christmas will be over soon and it will be 2016 before we know it.

Not cold here really just nasty and grey. Warm, wet and windy

Old 11-15-2015, 06:16 PM   #60
Zriza

Immortal

Can't believe it either. Since Friday it is grey hot and dry. It's supposed to change starting tomorrow but I'll believe it when I'll see it.