FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Cafe APUK general chat

Old 10-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #81
Websters
Commanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zriza View Post
Hope everyone is feeling better
The holidays are over. The weather is better. Shorts & Bermuda shorts - out, jeans - in
We go into mourning when we pack away the shorts, because winter, unending snow, cold temps, slick roads and grey skies are just around the corner.

We seek warm climes if we can, and come back when it is time for the shorts!

Humans are a funny species.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:26 AM   #82
Islandkat

Professor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zriza View Post
LOL you guys need to wear protective gear. Looks like your possessions are out to get you
I was thinking it might have been out for me! Of course it rained all day today. Supposedly it will be sunny tomorrow (Thurs.).

Galeon, if ~mj~ aches in nearly every one of her joints, I will certainly commiserate. Otherwise, I think I might win the aches and pain department this week. Unless she's still got that gall bladder (or what it is) then she wins.

"Yeah... it's all fun and games 'til somebody gets Cursed," Sheriff Jack Carter ~ Eureka.
Islandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:48 AM   #83
Zriza

Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Websters View Post
We go into mourning when we pack away the shorts, because winter, unending snow, cold temps, slick roads and grey skies are just around the corner.

We seek warm climes if we can, and come back when it is time for the shorts!

Humans are a funny species.
I'm just the opposite. I go into mourning when packing away jeans & warm clothes.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #84
Galeon 7

I don't think mj has the galwhatever (anymore). Zriz, you could move in with Kat....
A genuine sword inscription, scottish gaelic
borrowed from kmm on HLBB TKS
Galeon 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #85
Merrick

Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeon 7 View Post
Merrick, are you finished with your gallstones? Kat is ready to take pictures. You should commiserate with mj. I'll let her know she has a friend in stones.
Still get pains but not so often, G I've had them for many years but avoided the op. Don't think they will let me avoid it for much longer. Been bad this time
She has a friend in 'stones' just worries me she still has the pains even without her gall bladder and the stones

Would love those pics when you stop falling off ladders, Kat. We don't 'do' halloween here like you do over there. Take care.....

"Humanity! Made in Gods image, ha! You're all so arrogant!"

[Only registered users can see links. ]

Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:30 AM   #86
Islandkat

Professor

Unhappy

They will probably be early next week. And after I figure out why I couldn't take a picture with the camera earlier. Might have been the batteries I grabbed are shot, not sure.

Well, I've had a thoroughly lousy day! Ok, not entirely lousy. Home Insurance will cover the missing diamond after our deductable. I looked down this morning to discover one of the 1/4 carat diamonds in my engagement ring was missing!

That's what I get for deciding to be lazy today and finish the webbing tomorrow. *sigh* I figured it would be better since it was so windy and tomorrow (Friday) was supposed to be so nice. So I got to spend the day calling the Insurance people and trying to find the original appraisal.

"Yeah... it's all fun and games 'til somebody gets Cursed," Sheriff Jack Carter ~ Eureka.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:16 AM   #87
Coolwater
Commanders

Oh, Kat! I'm so sorry! I lost my ring in my car for several days a couple of weeks ago when I tucked it away so I wouldn't lose it kayaking - and couldn't recall where I'd hid it. What a huge relief to find it again! Could it still turn up? Like, in the house, maybe? Did you check your vacuum bag?

Merrick, I hope you feel better. mj is another stones buddy. She had her gall bladder removed and now has stones in her bile ducts.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:20 AM   #88
Coolwater
Commanders

Pina crashed my Jeep. She spun out on wet pavement, and almost shot out in front of a semi, but hit a sign post as she was heading for the Great Beyond. She's fine, just some scratches from the smashed in wndow, thank goodness. After her smash up last spring, we can't afford to let insurance pay for it because it would double our rates. And to think we quit worrying about her driving when she stopped being a teen!
Old 10-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #89
Galeon 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandkat View Post
They will probably be early next week. And after I figure out why I couldn't take a picture with the camera earlier. Might have been the batteries I grabbed are shot, not sure....
We call that "operator error" in the military I work with.

Like "Failure to engage the on/off switch into the on position."
Old 10-25-2014, 08:23 AM   #90
Zriza

Immortal

Wish I could move to somewhere with cooler climate, but I'm stuck here pinancially wise
Just heard the morning news and must say that your government again lost it. A 17 years old American / Palestinian terrorist stood above a road holding a burning Molotov cocktail ready to throw it in a civilians traveling on that road. Soldiers guarding that road spotted him and shot him dead before he was able to throw the burning bottle on civilians. What does your government do? They send their condolences to the terrorist's family and demand an inquiry into the so called"wrongful death". Yet again Palestinian blood is more important then Jewish blood.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:34 AM   #91
Galeon 7

I sympathize. Our government is run like an asylum.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:57 AM   #92
Islandkat

Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwater View Post
Pina crashed my Jeep. She spun out on wet pavement,
Again?!?!?!?

Quote:
Oh, Kat! I'm so sorry!... Did you check your vacuum bag?
Unfortunately, I haven't vacuumed this week. And I tossed the accumulated gunk in the sink "catcher" before realizing.

The insurance company is making me uncomfortable about the terms of their involvment. I must Fedex the ring to their repair people. I do not have a current appraisal and look as I might, I can't find the original. My mother is going on about the diamonds are probably older than the serial number business started and do I remember what happened to her engagement ring. She has never thought her diamond broke the way the jeweler she took it to for cleaning, insists it did. I would also have to come up with the deductable up front in ADDITION to what other repairs might be needed to secure the rest of the diamonds. In other words, it could get out of control and they would have my credit card number. They may be reputable, but... eeennnnnnniinnng. If I could just take it to someone local that would tell me upfront if A, B, or C needed doing to it.

We are discussing various options. Like canibalizing a diamond & sapphire white gold ring I have never been able to wear bcs I am alergic to white gold. His grandmother's ring that the band size is HUGE & I can't wear it. Or maybe getting a new - lower - setting and using only 3 diamonds like we'd originally discussed. This setting was my grandmother's idea (she helped us get the diamonds from a gawd awful ugly scarf pin that Pilot lucked into finding and no one ever claimed, set. Instead of paying a handyman, Pilot did some repairs and painting she needed.) and... It's a cocktail ring. "Should I ever want to wear it on another finger"... It was another of her backhanded disapproval comments on my choice. Every time I turn around I'm snagging it on something or hitting my hand. I have also had to always wear my rings upside down bcs it's just a half - quarter - size too big. So my wedding band actually holds it on my finger. I tried a ring guard, didn't really work for me.

Last edited by Islandkat : 10-26-2014 at 05:16 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #93
Merrick

Vampire

Quote:

Merrick, I hope you feel better. mj is another stones buddy. She had her gall bladder removed and now has stones in her bile ducts.
That's my problem at the moment...a little pest stuck in the bile duct. The doc seems to think its gone but I'm still having pains Still waiting for an appointment at the hospital but they keep doing blood tests to check liver and stuff. I think they will remove mine. How did MJ get stones in the bile duct if she had her gall bladder removed?

You need to get her a cheap car, Cool.

Poor Kat...sounds like a smaller setting might be best

"Humanity! Made in Gods image, ha! You're all so arrogant!"

Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #94
Coolwater
Commanders

I think maybe Merrick is right. A lower setting would make you lots saner. I like the idea of using the stones in the white gold ring (your mother's?). You can sell the white gold setting to help pay for the repairs. You'll never wear the stones otherwise and the ring will have double sentimental value.

Hey, post a pic of the the damaged ring. Maybe we can design you a new one from its remains that could be easily fixed? This gang would enjoy trying, especially mj.

Honestly, Merrick, I was trying to figure that out about the ducts, too. mj says they're bile ducts.

Oh, as far as Pina is concerned, I told her that she gets no more repairs from us: if she has another accident, we sell the remains of the Mustang and she'll have to move home. You can't get around in LA without a car because there is no public transportation, so she really would have to come home. I just want her to get a full time job and pay for her own danged car insurance.

I just got back from round 2 of visiting cousins. These are my mother's sister's daughters and their daughter, who have an annual shopping weekend at an outlet mall. My sister came, too. We ate too much, drank too much, spent too much and made too much noise. My husband told his mother that he expected worse, though. I came home with some new cassarole dishes (3 for the price of one!!!) 6 pair of sox for Will, a cute little dress for the girl, a pair of shoes, a sleep shirt and a sweater, and for muxh less than half original price. The real expenses were travel, wine and restaurants! If I lived in Michigan I wouldn't shop anywhere else.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:26 AM   #95
Islandkat

Professor

Smile

Quote:
I think maybe Merrick is right. A lower setting would make you lots saner. I like the idea of using the stones in the white gold ring (your mother's?). You can sell the white gold setting to help pay for the repairs. You'll never wear the stones otherwise and the ring will have double sentimental value.
The white gold, sapphire & diamond was my Sweet 16 ring from said Grandmother & Grandfather. Each of the grandchildren were given a ring with our birthstones when we turned 16. I was not "officially" given the ring until I was 19. I got to wear it a couple times before then, but apparently never long enough to discover the allergy. The real itching and swelling doesn't usually start until I've worn it for about 2 hours. After that, Watch Out! My father teased me the first time it happened that we would have to cut the finger off!

Old 10-29-2014, 01:15 AM   #96
Coolwater
Commanders

I hear you. I can't wear most golds or silver. I can wear Chinese gold; I'm thinking it has less nickle in it's alloy.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:20 AM   #97
Islandkat

Professor

Smile

Well, all is not to be bewailed. Talking with the Insurance Appraiser/Jewelery people today we came to the understanding that at this immediate moment I just can't come up with the deductible or whatever else may be needed to secure the rest of the ring from loss. I mean, I suppose I could if I were an unresponsible kid, but I'm a "Grown Up" I have to think of more immediate things. Like heating fuel. Soooooo... I still FedEx the ring to them, they'll appraise the damage & replacement cost, talk to the claim's handler and get her to cut me a check that I can deposit in Savings for a better time, & send the ring back as is. Then, maybe around the first of the year when a local jewelery company has it's "We're going out of Business" sale & closes their doors after 30+ years. He's retiring due to health. Or even go with a smaller setting like I'd originally had in mind. Isn't a perfect solution, but it's something and I won't have to just swallow the loss.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #98
Islandkat

Professor

Smile

Since I suppose this has become the chatting thread, I seem to recall that Merrick was interested in seeing my Halloween Decorations. I may have gone a little picture crazy.

Buddy being a tolerant little dog.

Looking at Front Door

Looking By the Front Door

Old 10-30-2014, 10:01 PM   #99
Islandkat

Professor

Smile

Some of these were taken in daylight and a few at night.

Out the front door

To Your Right

Old 10-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #100
Islandkat

Professor

Smile

Looking up the ramp to the Front Door. I'm still debating the addition of the orange lights.

That large Orange blob is actually a plastic pumpkin we're using as a lamp shade.

Looking up the ramp to Your Left

Further down the ramp to Your Left