Go Back   APUK > General Chat > Cafe APUK
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Cafe APUK general chat

Old 09-02-2014, 07:54 AM   #21
Galeon 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zriza View Post
LOL. Hope you are feeling better Merrick
Actually I can use some C4 on ... lets see ... the twit, the building opposite me that is being endlessly renovated and converted into a hotel, the SOBs who on Saturday night had roof party opposite me bedroom windows ....

September is here, teh courts summer break is over and I didn't hav even 1 day of normal vacation.
I want it because the apartments across the park block my view of the mountains.
A genuine sword inscription, scottish gaelic
borrowed from kmm on HLBB TKS
Galeon 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #22
Zriza

Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwater View Post
I knew you are the landlord; I was joking, you see. But 101 years ago? 1913? You're a second generation sabra? That's amazing! I bet there are not too many second gens. Did you and your friends bitch as much as Kat does about people who don't speak the language?

Well, OK, what about adding a safe room? People in the States sometimes do that so they have a tornado shelter, and use the room as a den. Ooh, and do you have the phone app for bombing alerts? That sounded very helpful. Yes, I have a tornado / dangerous weather app.
LOL Israel is already 66 years old so now there are loys of multiple generations Sabra. My cousin who is also a 2nd gen. like me has grand kids that are 4th generation But there are few 2nd gen. my age.

I'm still bitching about people who don't speak Hebrew. My grand parents on my father's side spole only Polish and Yeddish although they lived here for 14 years. Since I speak neither I wasn't able to talk to them. For the last decades we have huge number of Russian immigrants and the older ones don't bother to really learn Hebrew. Now we have a new peoblem - huge number of French imigrants and of course most of them don't speak Hebrew. The other day I was in the bank and there was an old lady who kept talking to the clerk in French and stalling the queue. I had to gather my very poor French to transalate because no one else knew even 1 word in French.

Yep, my iPhone have a bombing alert app and it was very usefull during the war. I intended to wait for iPhone6 to get a smartphone, but in the beginning of July when Hamas started firing more then usual on our south, I got worried and bought iPhone 5s so I'll be able to install the app.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #23
Coolwater
Commanders

I used to translate for the Yankees and the Southerners when I lived in Georgia and Texas, and those are both varieties of English! I've come to the conclusion that some folks have no ear for language and should never leave home. I guess, though, that you don't know you have no ear until it's too late.

My grandparents refused to speak Italian once they'd arrived in the US, but their English was terrible. It was so bad, that there were a number of words that my dad thought were Italian that were actually English - sort of. Sonno ma bicce (bee che)!
Old 09-03-2014, 12:43 AM   #24
Islandkat

Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwater View Post
I knew you are the landlord; I was joking, you see. But 101 years ago? 1913? You're a second generation sabra? That's amazing! I bet there are not too many second gens. Did you and your friends bitch as much as Kat does about people who don't speak the language?
Since my name is being used in vain here when I didn't say a damned thing - Hey! Part of becoming a citizen IS learning the damned language. Or at least it was at one point in time It's part of being a community!

"Yeah... it's all fun and games 'til somebody gets Cursed," Sheriff Jack Carter ~ Eureka.

Last edited by Islandkat : 09-03-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Islandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:45 AM   #25
Galeon 7

Amen Reverend Kat!
Old 09-03-2014, 12:49 AM   #26
Islandkat

Professor

Nobody wants to be a community anymore.

"Yeah... it's all fun and games 'til somebody gets Cursed," Sheriff Jack Carter ~ Eureka.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #27
Zriza

Immortal

Someone decided to kill me with stress and nerves. I'm not feeling too well for a while, sore throat from time to time, body aches etc. then last week the ADSL stopped working. After several hours it was fixed. Then since yesterday Erica doesn't want to eat dog food, only salami, cheese, eggs etc.. I can live with that, but this morning her hind (I think that's what the not front legs are called) suddenly deteriorated inspite of the pills she has been taking for the last several months. Watching her makes me cry. I'm still not over the cat's death, and now this and if that's not enough, couple of hours ago I wanted to watch TV, and found that the cable box stopped working and tomorrow I'll have to go across town to replace it. The cable company used to send technicians to replace the boxes, but stopped and now I have to go get it and connect it by myself. I'm soooo stressed that I'm impossible to be around.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:40 PM   #28
Islandkat

Professor

Awwww, poor Erica! Is it possible to change meds? Maybe that would help.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:16 AM   #29
Coolwater
Commanders

Poor you, poor Erica! We're in the same fix with Chewy. He broke his back years ago. A lot of surgery was done and he recovered, but now that he is an old guy, he's losing sensation in his hind quarters (yes, hind is the right word). He's having more trouble walking and can't get into the dog bed without a boost, so now we have an extra mat for him, and I've added an extra brick step so he can get along in the yard.

The worst part is that he doesn't realize that he has to poop until he's actually doing it. We went out on the patio this morning, and he started to poop, so I'm shouting and shooing him down into the grass, when Tycho decides he wants some of the attention, too. Tycho runs between my feet and knocks me dpwn on the bricks, and when I get up I step in the dog poop. Seriously, I felt like Rags should be there, you know?

Actually, I agree that English should be required for new citizenship. The problem with folks not speaking English is that it is the older generation that thinks it is going home to the old country, eventually, so why bother? The other problem, of course, is that people who were here before the Engish speakers arrived, should be grandfathered in, language wise. Or we could stretch our brains and become bilingual. Z is bilingual and it doesn't seem to have hurt her any!
Old 09-04-2014, 05:21 AM   #30
Galeon 7

I'm not sure now, but at one time a working level of English was required for citizenship. After Clinton however every government form now needs to be in 98 different languages.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #31
Zriza

Immortal

Erica R.I.P
We didn't sleep all night because she kept crying. Just came back from the vet who is doing the deed
Old 09-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #32
Galeon 7

I am sorry to hear that Zriz.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #33
Merrick

Vampire

oh Z!!! I'm so sorry. R.I.P Erica

Feel better soon x

Sounds like we both need to get well and less stressed.

"Humanity! Made in Gods image, ha! You're all so arrogant!"

[Only registered users can see links. ]

[Only registered users can see links. ]
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #34
Galeon 7

It's ok you two. I got the reins. The board is in good hands.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #35
Islandkat

Professor

*eyes Galeon & checks the locks on the explosives cabinet...* Don't worry Merrick. I'm watchin' him.

Sorry to hear about your pooch, Z. I know that decision is not an easy one and how easy it is to second guess yourself even when you did everything you could do.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #36
Galeon 7

That's ok. I'm old school. I have my own stash of dynamite.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #37
Coolwater
Commanders

Oh, no. Oh, Z, I am so so sorry. <<<hugs>>>
Old 09-06-2014, 01:26 AM   #38
Websters
Commanders

I'm sorry Z. Just today I cleaned up my memorial stepping stone in my corner garden for 'Beau'. It is a paw print and says: "Dogs leave paw prints on our hearts."

Big prints. They too are family.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:22 AM   #39
Islandkat

Professor

Exclamation

Boo!

Old 09-10-2014, 01:47 AM   #40
Galeon 7

For you sensative people she was talking to me....