APUK  

Go Back   APUK > General Chat > Cafe APUK
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Cafe APUK general chat

Old 03-24-2018, 03:11 AM   #41
Coolwater
Commanders

Z, I had no idea that you have kids. It is amazing how much work simply appears once one retires.

Since this is the only thread with any life in it, let me point out that AP is working on a new series: A Beautiful Distraction
[Only registered users can see links. ]
Sounds like one part sci fi, one part horror and one part one of those stories in which a man moves in with a repressed, conventional family, sleeps with everyone, changes all their lives and at the end, the maid becomes a saint and flies off the roof.

OK, maybe not that last.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:40 PM   #42
Zriza

Immortal

LOL I don't have human kids, only my 4 legged kids Ridgie the dog and Eric the cat. Taking care of them is full time job.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:55 PM   #43
Coolwater
Commanders

Ohhh, those klds. I'm not sure why, but a cat named Eric always makes me smile. How are the kids?

How is the landlady business? Have you rebuilt anything lately? Oh, one of my husband's graduates is moving home to Israel to Negev (sp?) University. Do you have any landlady friends there in the desert that she should talk to?

Have Israelis been watching Resurrection Ertugrul? It's a soap opera about the origin of the Ottoman Turks, and it's great fun. Lots of swords and romance. Wonderful horses. It's heavy on morality and the piety is too thick. A lot of the action takes place in Aleppo. And the hero looks like my friend's ex husband. As he used to be a fundamentalist Christian, it's fun to see his face spouting Muslim sayings!

I would have guessed you probably wouldn't watch it because the good guys are Muslims, but since everybody hates the Ottomans and all sorts of folks are watching it anyway, I thought I'd ask. The Christians are the bad guys, especially the Knights Templars. (Except for the Coptic Christians, because they hate the Templars, too, and "the enemy of my enemy is my friend.") So far we've only had one Jewish character, and he's sensible and nice. This one viewer was saying that as a Catholic, the Templars were his guys, but after a dozen episodes he found himself screaming, "Cut the Cardinal's f***ing head off! " There was an Arab guy who was griping about having to listen to all that ugly Turkish. Lucky for us, there are English subtitles.

So, as we are ignorant of the region, we are always having to look things up and are learning a lot of history. Nomadic shepherds are not like I imagined them to be.

Sigh. I thought it was spring, but yesterday was April Fools Day and we got 5 inches of snow.

Last edited by Coolwater : 04-02-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Coolwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #44
Zriza

Immortal

The kids are fine. Ridgie started to shake his head constantly. Cleaning his ears took care of the problem.
Nope, the Israeli channels don't air Turkish series. The cables have several Turkish channels, but I don't bother with non English speaking foreign channels cos I hate reading subtitles if there are any.
I'm not very knowledgeable in the region's history but from what I read I got the impression that neither the Muslims nor the Templars were the good guys. Both just loved to kill in the name of their god. The same as the current days Muslim terrorists. There were only few Jews in the region back then and usually they were the collateral damage in the war between Muslims & Christians over the Holy Land and Jerusalem.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:53 PM   #45
Coolwater
Commanders

You left out the Mongols. I didn't know that they were completely genocidal until the beginning of the second season. I had to look that up, but it was true.
Poor Ridgie. Did he have mites?

Our older dog, Tychio has been diagnosed with Lime Disease, in spite of having been inoculated Lime can be very dangerous if it eats into your nervous system. Lime disease is spread by these very tiny little ticks called deer ticks and as Tycho never goes out of the yard, that means he probably got them here at home! Husband Bill has been tested and is negative and I'm getting tested soon. I'm the one that should have it: we go horseback riding in the woods where the deer ticks live. Bill's doctor has been sensible about it. I just hope mine is!

I wonder if I brought home the deer ticks to Tycho???

Now that the North Koreans and the Chinese have missiles that can reach the US, the feds are getting more interested in Iron Dome. For us, it would have to be domeS.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #46
Zriza

Immortal

Erica RIP and esp. Zriza RIP used to have fleas. When Ridgie joined the family they migrated to him. I tried every anti flea ampules that are available here, but the fleas just laughed and kept multiplying. After Zriza died from sever anemia caused by the bloody pests, Ridgie started wearing a Seresto anti-fleas collar. It worked wonderfully for the last 3 years. Suddenly last month on the morning after I returned from London Ridgie woke up at 6am with an attack of shakes. The imidiate suspect was the collar so I took it off of him. Being without the collar caused Ridgie to start itching. After having more shakes attaks in the next 5 weeks, I consulted his vet. Because the 2 more attacks happened while he didn't wear the collar, the vet concluded that the collar is not the cause and told me to put it back. Tomorrow I'll buy a new one. I suspect that maybe be there is something wrong with the old collar. Ridgie needs a collar cos the although they are invisible they drive him crazy. The vet also suspect that the attacks were caused by a very deep dreaming, mostly because all 3 of them started while he was asleep.

🇮🇱 Anyhow today my little country is celebrating it's 70 Independence Day. Happy b-day Israel!!! 🇮🇱
Old 04-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #47
Coolwater
Commanders

I got online today especially to wish you Happy Independence Day!
Old 04-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #48
Coolwater
Commanders

OMG, poor beastie! We give our dogs a chewable pill called Bravecto. It's expensive but works for twelve weeks. There is another one called Nexguard. Say, why aren't they biting you? They used to eat me alive!
Old 04-21-2018, 07:11 AM   #49
Zriza

Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwater View Post

I got online today especially to wish you Happy Independence Day!
Thanks Cool 😍❤️😍🇮🇱
Old 04-21-2018, 07:26 AM   #50
Zriza

Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwater View Post
OMG, poor beastie! We give our dogs a chewable pill called Bravecto. It's expensive but works for twelve weeks. There is another one called Nexguard. Say, why aren't they biting you? They used to eat me alive!
Yesterday morning, about 24 hours after wearing the seresto collar for only few hours, Ridgie had another attack / sejuire (sp), so the vet started thinking that maybe the collar has something to do with it, and instead of a new collar I gave him the Bravecto pill. Hopefully the change will rid Ridgie off the fleas and the attacks. He still scratch himself but less then before. I guess it will take a while longer for the scratching to stop.

As you guessed the minute I took the anti-fleas collar off Ridgie, they started to bite me and I had to constantly apply the Fenistile gel. But since Ridgie took the Bervavto pill I am bites free, which show that it works.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:16 AM   #51
Coolwater
Commanders

It does work, thank goodness. When I lived in Georgia, which has a warm climate, we had an awful flea plague. it was so bad that when you went outside, you could see groups of them them hopping up from the ground. That was bad enough, but during that summer, cats started dying of feline leukemia, which was transmitted by the fleas. More than half the cat population died in one summer. I bathed me and the dog, and used a product called Carbam to dust the yard and the house, and then ten days later I did it all again and again ten days after that, because fleas go from egg to larva in ten days and from larva to grown fleas in ten days, when they lay eggs. The fleas are Carbam resistant there now, but at the time, it did work, provided your dog - or the neighbor's cat, or a squirrel - didn't bring home any new fleas from outside of the yard. If you saw even one flea, you had to start over. It was exhausting and I worry about pesticide poisoning even now!

When we moved to Texas, people were upset about fire ants, which were new to the region. But you know what? Fire ants eat fleas, eggs larva and all! So I was happy, even if it meant that the baby couldn't play in the grass. Now we have chewable medications for fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. They cost alot, but I'm glad to have them!

Pat Mr. Ridgie for me!
Old 05-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #52
Zriza

Immortal

Today I'm a very happy Israeli. I'm watching now the ceremony of the opening of the American embassy in our capital city Jerusalem 🇮🇱🇺🇸🇮🇱
Old 05-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #53
Coolwater
Commanders

Ah, well, if Jerusalem is the capital, then that is where the embassy should be, and it might even be possible to have the embassy help smooth things out between the Israelis and the Palestinians. (Yes, I know, but that is what they're calling themselves now.) I'm not hopeful. In any case, ya'll really have to get some sort of peaceful arrangement set up, so that Israel isn't besieging the Arabs and Hamas isn't trying to extinguish the Jews. A second US embassy in Gaza might be interesting... then everyonewould be offended.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:17 PM   #54
Zriza

Immortal

"If Jerusalem is the capital" ??? IF (Yep, that's me shouting in frustration) ??? Jerusalem is and has been our capital for the last 70 years !!! How will you feel if the world in large keep insisting that your capital is New York, not Washington, just because some Native Americans claim that the land Washington is built on belongs to them ???
Old 06-15-2018, 03:56 AM   #55
Coolwater
Commanders

Sorry, Z, I didn't mean that as if I didn't know that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel; I'm not that silly. I meant that as an "If Then" statement. If X, then Y. If A is a country's capital, then A should be the site of visiting embassies.

There are a lot of folks in New York City who believe that NYC is the de facto capital, though.

So, since we've run out of ancient Turkish TV, we are watching Israeli TV. Are you familiar with Fauda? They're translating it as Chaos. It's part subtitles and part dubbed English, so I expected we'd pick up a few words in Hebrew, but so far the Israeli under cover cops are speaking Arabic. It's a very complicated story suitable for a complicated situation.

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner. It's been a heck of a time around here. Some friends went out of town and I was caring for their two dogs. One of the dogs has been dying of cancer for 6 years and had he been mine, I'd have put him down a long time ago. Blind, deaf, unsteady, often unable to eat, frightened and often in pain, he would get panicky if he was separated from the healthy dog. I've known him since he was a puppy. I think they didn't want to recognize how ill he was, as his deterioration was fairly gradual, but I think they finally saw him through my eyes because they called and asked what I thought they should do. This morning they put him to sleep. Even if one doesn't believe in an afterlife, it's wrong to make the poor fellow suffer, so I'm relieved that they let him go.

The other thing that happened is that I tripped on a curb in a construction area and twisted my ankle big time and bruised up the other! I haven't been on line much. How are things with you? How are you spending your time now that you've retired?

Last edited by Coolwater : 06-15-2018 at 03:58 AM.
Coolwater is offline   Reply With Quote