APUK  

Go Back   APUK > Books and Graphic Novels > Books
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #41
Zriza

Immortal

Now reading the Scarpetta books by Patricia Corenwell. Last nught finished reading "Book of the dead". Couldn't put it down although it was already past midnight.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #42
Coolwater
Commanders

Oh, me, too, Z. I'm reading them as I run across them, though, so some of the surprises are a bit spoiled, but that's OK.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #43
Zriza

Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwater View Post
Oh, me, too, Z. I'm reading them as I run across them, though, so some of the surprises are a bit spoiled, but that's OK.
Happened to me too LOL. The 1st book I read was "scarpetta" (#16), where She & Benton are married. Liked it very much, and was lucky to find in the used books shop books #1-17 except for "Point of origin" (#10), and started reading them in order. Imagine my surprise when I opened book #11 -
"The last precinct" and the 1st page talk about Benton being dead. Of course that revelation was spoiled by the knowledge that somewhere along the way it will be revealed that he is alive and kicking.

"The last precinct" is my least favorite book so far. Benton is my favorite character
Old 02-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #44
Coolwater
Commanders

Benton? You mean... HE'S ALIVE????

Just kidding. But that is exactly what happened to me. I read a later book after he'd popped up again, before he'd got killed. Takes the edge off, because in these novels almost anyone can get killed except Scarpetta. She's so unlucky; I think that the worst threat to a real medical examiner is disease rather than homicidal maniacs.

Last edited by Coolwater : 02-08-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Coolwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #45
Websters
Commanders

I've read them all except the last ones , actually 16-18! Looks like I have some summer reading to do!

What I had read about the author got me to reading "Time for Remembering", a biography of Ruth Graham, wife of the evangelist, Billy Graham. That was interesting as Ruth was somewhat of a mentor and they seemed to have a falling out in later years.

Ms Cornwell writes well, but her Scarpetta novel 'style' seemed to change and I didn't care for that much.

Say you?
Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #46
Coolwater
Commanders

I've read them so out of order that I can't say. I'm reading Drood right now. It's splendidly horrible. Doesn't make either Charles Dickens or Wilkie Collins sound like people you want to know, though.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #47
velvetglove

Immortal

OK so I did buy a Kindle and I now download my books. There are authors who publish first time reads for pennies here just to get you interested in their work.

Here’s a couple of authors whom I’ve followed since discovering them for myself.

Anne Zouroudi, English born of Greek Parentage.

I suppose you’d describe the hero of these books as a Greek Hercule Poirot to some extent, smartly dressed, well groomed except for his white running shoes which he wears and cares for methodically.

The Fat Man, as he is introduced, has a fictional name of Hermes Diaktoros and comes from Athens.

“Hermes was a god of transitions and boundaries. He was quick and cunning, and moved freely between the worlds of the mortal and divine, as emissary and messenger of the gods, intercessor between mortals and the divine, and conductor of souls into the afterlife. He was protector and patron of travellers, herdsmen, thieves, orators and wit, literature and poets, athletics and sports, invention and trade.”

“Diactoros, the messenger, is in fact only seen in this role, for Zeus, from within the pages of the Odyssey.”
... Oh mighty messenger of the gods of the upper and lower worlds ... (Aeschylus).

So the main character is an immortal! Right up your street, the righter of wrongs but even when the wrong doer is exposed there is the undoing of wrongs to put right so the stories never finish until the fat lady or in this case the fat man sings.

You’ll be exposed to a few Greek words which are easy enough to translate and a Greek way of life. Like all immortals the impossible is made possible but always in small ways and there is none of this “There Can Be Only One!”

I’ve loved all of these books from first to last.

Second.

William Dietrich

The Rosetta Key
Napoleon’s Pyramids
The Dakota Cipher
The Barbary Pirates
The Emerald Storm

I’m not usually into American Heroes for instance I could never read Bernard Cornwell’s Starbuck stories but in this case the hero is, not believable but almost British in his outlook.

Ethan Gage is an American adventurer who is not sure which side he’s on. Pressed by Napoleon to assist in his conquest of Egypt for one yet forced into working for the British at the same time whilst fighting off the tirades of the bad guys, who ever they are. He finds himself up against all sorts of strange cults and practises.

Gage is a prodigy Ben Franklin, a so called expert in electronics, a Savant from the French “to know”. Although he’s probably more accustomed to creating a problem and then finding a solution to get out of them!

You’ll be exposed to war’s, lost treasures, Vikings, even torture, drugs and monsters. The character does remind me of a latter day Dan Brown hero to some extent but Gage knows how to load and shoot a long rifle and carries a tomahawk stuffed inside his jacket, for insurance.

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all the people some of the time. Which is just long enough to be President of the United States.
velvetglove is offline   Reply With Quote