APUK  

Go Back   APUK > Everything Adrian Paul > Fandom
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #21
Coolwater
Commanders

Good for Wingfield. Oh, that would really piss me off, too. And I'd have called AP on it, probably. (We had a tough playground when I was a kid. ) Actually, though, I think he was mocking Abramowitz, not you - not that that makes it any more appropriate!

Mari, too. She met AP at a con and went from "He's hot," to "He's a nice, good looking bloke." (Her words) AP did nothing wrong, but Mari'd 'd just gotten involved with a guy and he was claiming the stars in her eyes.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #22
*~mj~
Commanders

I know the feeling...AP got worse looking after I met G.

Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light...

I think i`ll go buy some socks.~ Methos

Every now and then I do something supremely stupid, just to stay in practice
*~mj~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #23
Zriza

Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwater View Post
Good for Wingfield. Oh, that would really piss me off, too. And I'd have called AP on it, probably. (We had a tough playground when I was a kid. ) Actually, though, I think he was mocking Abramowitz, not you - not that that makes it any more appropriate!

Mari, too. She met AP at a con and went from "He's hot," to "He's a nice, good looking bloke." (Her words) AP did nothing wrong, but Mari'd 'd just gotten involved with a guy and he was claiming the stars in her eyes.
LOL, actually it wasn't the new guy who got Mari off of AP. Before the London con where we met AP for the 1st time Leeds was the 2nd time), Carmel made Mari believe that AP knew all about APUK and her. But when she talked to him at signing table, he didn't know anything about APUK or who she was. That got her very pissed
Old 09-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #24
Merrick

Vampire

Well I suppose you all know how interested I am by the fact that I actually forget to come on here and it's my board lol.

I'm with Z on this. When we first met AP in London we were the 'bad' guys. We were watched to make sure we behaved. AP was really nice and, yes, we all behaved like giggly fans but he was great and we had a good time.
Leeds was a totally different experience. The entire set up pushed fans away. We were all treated badly. I have said this before, but I really believe it was the difference between a general con and one organised by the Highlander powers that be.
My interest in AP waned from that weekend and my feelings about his 'people' finished it off. We were even told we were sitting in the wrong seats which we had booked and paid for.
I still like to watch Highlander and I wish he had done some decent films or even another series to keep us interested but he just seems to want to direct these days.
I came to realise that it was really Duncan MacLeod that had stirred my interest and not Adrian although I have seen him in most of the stuff he's done. Once Highlander finished my interest declined and he does nothing as an actor to keep his fans interested. As Cool says...some writing or longer message now and then might be nice also some new pics.

"Humanity! Made in Gods image, ha! You're all so arrogant!"

[Only registered users can see links. ]

Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #25
Coolwater
Commanders

Well I suppose you all know how interested I am by the fact that I actually forget to come on here and it's my board lol.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!! You neglect us, Merrick, you know that, right? hee hee hee... But that is a damn fine summary of the entire situation. I think most of us are still here because we enjoy each other;s company. (And when you consider how rough the start was between you and me, I'm happy that is so! ) And yeah, I think that's true for lots of people: the actor ain't the role.

OK, but to be fair to AP and Carmel, the common advice to stars with stalkers is to not acknowledge awareness of the doings of any fans. AP used to respond directly to fans (before my time) and now it's only indirect and impersonal. I can understand it; since AP can't tell who's nuts and who isn't, it is probably safer not to make personal responses at all because even though healthy fans love it, unhealthy fans take a personal reply as a mark of what a special relationship they have. Remember when Sheryl was on her site literally begging AP to talk to her? If he had said even, "Get the hell away from me, woman!" she'd have taken it as a sign that she should persist. It's the nature of obsession.

So. If Carmel (and I think Bierly, too) said AP knew about APUK and AP didn't indicate that he did, my money is on Carmel.

BTW, I get the impression that Carmel is far less involved than she used to be.

Who ran the Leeds con, Z? It wasn't Carmel and Company?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #26
Zriza

Immortal

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwater View Post
[So. If Carmel (and I think Bierly, too) said AP knew about APUK and AP didn't indicate that he did, my money is on Carmel.

BTW, I get the impression that Carmel is far less involved than she used to be.

Who ran the Leeds con, Z? It wasn't Carmel and Company?
Carmel and company ran the Leeds con. They treated those of us fans who were not in their inner circle as 2nd class fans. They didn't even let us mingle with the GOH before the formal dinner, although it was part of dinner program and we paid for it. One morning John Bierly had to ride with us to the venue on the fans bus because Carmel booted him out off the orignaizers car. Not long after that he left the fandom. The scene of Carmel's helpers checking our name rags claiming that we are not sitting in our rightful sits described by Merrick was very humiliating
Old 09-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #27
Tessa
Commanders

Does Carmel still belong to APUK? I know she used to be a member.
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #28
Coolwater
Commanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zriza View Post
Carmel and company ran the Leeds con. They treated those of us fans who were not in their inner circle as 2nd class fans. They didn't even let us mingle with the GOH before the formal dinner, although it was part of dinner program and we paid for it. One morning John Bierly had to ride with us to the venue on the fans bus because Carmel booted him out off the orignaizers car. Not long after that he left the fandom. The scene of Carmel's helpers checking our name rags claiming that we are not sitting in our rightful sits described by Merrick was very humiliating
Carmel ran the other cons, too; I wonder what was different? It sounds like the organization was falling apart, doesn't it? John told me he left the fandom because he couldn't handle the stress of trying to deal with truly dangerous fans (it sounded like anxiety attacks), but he may be too polite to tell more.

I can see why you are Not Happy with Carmel.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #29
Tessa
Commanders

Truly dangerous fans? Hmm, I never heard that before. I thought it was because his Mom was very ill. In fact,on a sad note, I heard that his Mom passed away recently.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #30
Merrick

Vampire

I know Cool and I'm sorry. I should come more often but I think old age is nibbling at my little grey cells lol! We did have some rough times didn't we but I think we were all a bit more.......involved with our fandom in those days.

I understand the stalker bit and no one could honestly expect him to remember anyone. Could any of us really? As for the being nice to people at conventions....well there wasn't any excuse at Leeds apart from maybe he was bored. We will never know.

Carmel and the Highlander team did Leeds but the original London venue where we all met originally was a Comic or Sci Fi Con. Maris, Scooby, Z and I met for the first time. We had fun and it was a good time. I really didn't expect AP to know much about APUK at the time but he did upset Maris by virtually brushing off the fact that we had our own little fan club. Oh well......long past now and water under a very wide bridge. It was Leeds that upset me. Not just AP but the way the entire thing was organised. My interest was very much stomped on that weekend.

Poor John, we couldn't believe it when he got on the bus. Remember sitting in the bar on the table next to Carmel and her team when they were discussing getting to Scotland, Z?

I don't know if Carmel is still as involved. I believe she did the last Con. I didn't even think of buying tickets as I didn't want to be considered a 2nd or even 3rd class fan again. There have been many reports of fans being treated badly at Highlander Conventions so it wasn't just Leeds.

Carmel was and is (I haven't deleted anyone, I promise *cross my heart*) a member of APUK.

Sorry to hear about John's Mother. We all lose them eventually

"Humanity! Made in Gods image, ha! You're all so arrogant!"

Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #31
Coolwater
Commanders

John's did? Oh, I'm so sorry!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #32
Coolwater
Commanders

LOL, Merrick, I think my problem was just being an American and not knowing how things worked in the UK. Goodness, remember my citing Paul for using the word "twat" and then getting censored myself for using the word fa**Y? What a bad start!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #33
Tessa
Commanders

I heard this about his mom passing away from someone and I'm assuming it's true.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:07 AM   #34
Coolwater
Commanders

You're right, it is. I checked his Face Book page.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:27 AM   #35
Coolwater
Commanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
Truly dangerous fans?
OH, my goodness, did you catch Inspector Lewis last night on PBS? I just got caught up with the ep, and darned if it wasn't about Truly Dangerous Fans, or more specifically, De Clerambault Syndrome / Erotomania / Obssession. Which is to say, people who are romantically obsessed with another person and who become bona fide dangerous, first to people who are perceived to be standing in the way of a romance between the target and the stalker and then when the romance never materializes, to the target him/herself. The distinction between plain erotomania and de Clerambault Syndrome is that the stalker believes that the target is sending private messages to the stalker.

Exactly the people John and some of you all have described. Remind me never to become famous.

Last edited by Coolwater : 09-27-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Coolwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:17 AM   #36
*~mj~
Commanders

Hey Merrick....good to see you!!

Old 09-27-2011, 03:18 AM   #37
*~mj~
Commanders

Gee...Carmel sounds like a bit of a snoot. I thought she was a nice lady.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:49 AM   #38
Coolwater
Commanders

She's always been very nice to me.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #39
Zriza

Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick View Post
Poor John, we couldn't believe it when he got on the bus. Remember sitting in the bar on the table next to Carmel and her team when they were discussing getting to Scotland, Z?

I don't know if Carmel is still as involved. I believe she did the last Con. I didn't even think of buying tickets as I didn't want to be considered a 2nd or even 3rd class fan again. There have been many reports of fans being treated badly at Highlander Conventions so it wasn't just Leeds.

Carmel was and is (I haven't deleted anyone, I promise *cross my heart*) a member of APUK.

Sorry to hear about John's Mother. We all lose them eventually
Yep, I remember that that incedent in the bar and how they stopped talking when they realised that we are sitting at the next table. Carmel & co.'s attitude ended my interest in the fandom. Initially I bought tickets to the con after that but shortly after buying them I decided that I had enough and sold them to the late Beverly.

I recall many fans complaining after the Sydney con that when they were on a cruise in Dedney harbour they were barred from the area where AP and co.
were sitting.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #40
Coolwater
Commanders

Sigh. Sounds like a drag.